Monday 12 September 2016

Learning to fall in line

"You should put up their flag on your car. Even if you are scared, do not show it on your face," I said.  "It might not guarantee your safety, but it will definitely help. It'll prove your allegiance and, more importantly, help you get home."

     Things had suddenly gotten worse. The city was just recovering from rebellion and things were just getting back to normal. We had gotten together for a peaceful gathering. Things were just fine in the morning when I was on my bicycle. Now that I think about it, things were fine because nobody had expected anything to happen in this part of the country. We were a relatively safe city. However, things had suddenly gotten worse.

     We decided to leave immediately. We were having our meal when we first got to know that they have started to burn things down. We have no clue what spurred this sudden air of tension and that is why, the urgency does not dawn on me immediately. Since I had traveled from far, I, along with a couple others, decide to not take any chance and leave immediately.

     The Swastika flags had already started to go up on the buildings. People had begun to shut their shops. People were busy pouring out on the pavement, heading home. To safety. They would not care much if they were angry. The only way was to show them that we were with them. It did not matter if you actually were with them or not. It did not matter whether they were doing the right thing. What mattered was your safety. And the flag served as your shield. It only required one person to trigger a crazy paranoia among others. My neighbour has put up the flag! What if they see that I have not and attack me? It is best that I too put up the flag. And so, as I was cycling, I saw that the yellow-red Karnataka flags had already started going up on the buildings.

Swastika flags, Karnataka Flags. What's the difference?


No comments:

Post a Comment